Monday, October 13, 2008

certification musings

I started this blog intending it as a repository for odd network and VoIP related issues I run into over time, but I just have to vent a bit about a recent experience.

Last week I interviewed someone whose resume listed virtually every non-CCIE Cisco certification there is: CCNA, CCNP, CCSP, CCVP, CCDP, etc etc.

Now, I'm not naive enough to think that someone with all those certifications will necessarily be thoroughly proficient at all the subject areas (I have the CCSP among other things, but I'm pretty rusty on Cisco IDS), but a passing familiarity would be nice. This individual couldn't describe basic ARP operation, a basic TCP handshake, and couldn't name any layer 2 WAN protocols. He didn't do any better on voice or security questions.

Obviously it's possible to get all these certifications without knowing much, but if you're going to put them on your resume, at least try to be familiar with the basic concepts in the subject area.

Better yet, use the tests as a way to evaluate your REAL theoretical and practical knowledge of the subject area, not as something to spiff up your resume.

1 comment:

Splint said...

Thats why I am trying my best to master the fundamentals.

However employers such as yourself are more interested in certifications so this is pretty much going to always happen